- Control group “school year of sustainability” A steering group has been formed, each partner delegates one member. The steering group meets 3-4 times a year. The task of the group is to discuss and to decide the basic issues of cooperation.
- Project office “school year of sustainability” A project office has been established as a working group of the association “Umweltlernen in Frankfurt”. The office coordinates and performs the ongoing work. Here everything comes together: contacts to the schools and coordination of the pedagogical stuff.
- Teacher training The 10 modules performed at the school are dealing with various aspects of sustainable development. Together with an external coach the class teacher performs these moduls. This requires special training in the theme, the methods and the concepts of ESD, in particular “Gestaltungskompetenz”
- School conferences At the school, the project will be presented to the school board first. Then the project management informs all teachers within a teacher’s conference. That’s the place to decide on the project and the form of execution: a project week with selected modules, 10 modules on 10 different days or individual modules with field trips.
- Representation of the project on the Internet and in the media On the existing web page “ESD in Frankfurt”, the fundamental aspects of the project are presented, as well as information on current developments. On special occasions, newspaper editors, radio and television are invited to take notice of the newest actions within the “school year of sustainability”.
- Learning modules – Cooperation with schools As part of the “School Year for Sustainability” programs of about 20 hours will be made available for every class. During one year several learning modules on sustainability are linked and embedded into regular lessons. The learning units, field trips and excursions or project weeks take place in close cooperation with the class teachers. The modules are linked through an age-appropriate narrative anchor to the theme of sustainable development, hence students can experience the interconnectedness with each other.
The implementation of the modules is attractive for schools and also serves as a “door opener” for school development in the direction of ESD:
- The modules are systematically linked with the regular lessons. Through the learning effects for the participating students the teachers get positive examples of the opportunities of developing education towards ESD. The process is supported by joint planning with the teachers, continuous teacher training and the cross-school sharing of experiences.
- For the implementation of the sustainability modules specific materials have been developed and tested. They connect the content and methods of environmental education and global learning towards ESD. The materials and the lessons learned during the “School Year for Sustainability” can be used by the school beyond the project and can be further developed.
Together with the “Frankfurt Green City” group and teachers – topics were chosen that link with the curriculum of the 4th grade, and activities that are already established in Frankfurt. The modules developed include main topics of sustainable development such as: Introduction:
- Sustainability what´s that?
- Climate: Do we change the climate?
- Energy: How does the energy come to my home?
- Heat: Who heats my home during winter?
- Renewable energies: Energy from wind, water, sun and biodegradables
- Passive house: A house without heating system
- Recycling: What happens with the waste?
- Paper: Does recycling paper save the forest?
- Nutrition: How does climate-friendly and fair food taste?
- Mobility: bike, bus, car or walking?